Site Search

Social Bookmarks

FacebookMySpaceTwitterDiggDeliciousStumbleuponGoogle BookmarksRedditNewsvineTechnoratiLinkedinMixxRSS FeedPinterest

Local Weather

Click for Geneva, Nebraska Forecast


Flexibility Due To Drought

As conditions deteriorate and drought expands across much of the Northern Plains, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is offering assistance to farmers and ranchers through numerous federal farm programs to ensure all viable program flexibilities are offered to producers.
USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) has authorized emergency haying on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) lands July 16 through August 31, for counties in Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota designated as D2 or greater on the U.S. Drought Monitor. Similar to the previously announced authorization for Emergency Grazing through September 30, the authorization to hay includes any county with any part of its border located within 150 miles of a county eligible for emergency haying of CRP based on the U.S. Drought Monitor.
According to FSA County Executive Director Norton, these authorizations apply to certain CRP land located in Fillmore County in Nebraska.
Landowners interested in emergency haying or grazing of CRP acres should contact the Fillmore County FSA office. Not all CRP practices qualify for emergency haying or grazing. Individual conservation plans will take into consideration wildlife needs.
Eligible CRP participants can hay or graze their acreage for their own use or may grant another producer use of CRP land for these purposes. There will be no CRP annual rental payment reductions assessed for acres hayed or grazed under these emergency authorizations.
For more information on CRP emergency grazing and haying, or other disaster assistance programs and loans, visit or contact the Fillmore County FSA Office at 402-759-4463 ext 2.